Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Creative Goals for Redesigned Site

  1. Simplify brand by refocusing on just moveon.org rather than two separate groups (Civic Action group and the Political Action group). This is most likely a legal issue, but shouldn’t affect how a user is informed and can participate with the organization.
  2. Increase sense of opportunity to participate through greater community presence and functionality.
  3. Utilize community to develop relevant content for the main site.
  4. Organize navigation of site to create less confusion.
  5. Develop a bolder visual statement, which will set it apart from its competitors through better usage of typography, imagery and color palette.
  6. Communicate sense of urgency.
  7. Communicate effectiveness of site and community.

1 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

Great point Steve.

I absolutely agree with you. I think the point you're alluding to is that any redesign or desire for redesign needs to stem from unmet user needs in the original site.

The only way to truly know those unmet needs would be to conduct usability tests, user behavior tests (ethnographics), psychographics, etc. From the results of that research, one would logically be able to definitively say, these are the goals for the site redesign.

However, in this particular exercise, I think it is closer to what you're talking about. It's most likely more academic and insular. This I can only chalk up to my own personal resources.

Like I mentioned in the first posts, I would have to inevitably make certain assumptions. If my assumptions are questionable, such as the point you brought up about my intention to refocus brand, I am grateful for that type of feedback.

Rereading that point does make it seem a bit over-assumptive.

My hopes are to establish various user personas and develop user paths for them. Those will have to serve as behavior studies in this exercise. Unless of course there are other suggestions on how to do this.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home